Douglas A. Feldman LGBTQ Paper Award
This award supports the diversity mission at the College at Brockport, which includes creating a college climate that affirms human dignity, individual rights, civility, mutual respect, and academic freedom; and fostering a community what rejects all forms of prejudice and discrimination to ensure that inclusion and equality prevail.
Please see submission guidelines below and note deadline.
1. Open to all undergraduate students at the College at Brockport during fall 2019 and/or spring 2020 semesters in any major.
2. Submit an academic research paper (including revised papers originally written for classes) that focus on the social and cultural aspects of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, “queer,” non-binary, and/or intersex life and experiences.
3. Students may submit one paper each year, but are only eligible to receive the overall award one time. Runner-up winners may submit entries again for the overall prize, but may not receive the runner-up prize again.
4. The paper must be between 9 and 20 pages of text, double-spaced, and typed in 12-point Arial font. The paper must include a separate title page, with the author’s name and the title of the paper, reference cited pages (these may count as additional pages).
5. The paper may not be homophobic or anti-gay.
6. Papers should either represent empirical (based on experience or observation) findings of LGBTQ research conducted by the student, a review of academic empirical research conducted by other scholars, be historical, be biographical, or be cross-cultural.
7. The paper must be clearly written, comprehensible to most intelligent readers, and use jargon-free language. If jargon is used, it must be clearly defined.
8. The best paper will be selected based on quality, relevance to the topic, importance of the topic, excellence in research methods and/or theory, and originality of writing. In-text citations and page numbers are to be employed.
9. Papers will be reviewed by a seven-member faculty and community committee; the award will be presented at the fall 2020 Diversity Conference at Brockport.
10. Upload papers through this application for this award or by including as an email attachment to Dr. Douglas A, Feldman, at email@example.com.
11. Papers accepted through May 15, 2020.
$1,000 award for the best paper.
The runner up will receive a $100 award.